Hunting & Fishing Licenses

Rhode Island Hunting and Freshwater Fishing Licenses are available at the Town Clerk's office. To purchase a hunting or combination license you must present a hunter safety course card or a previous Rhode Island hunting license. Saltwater fishing licenses are not available in the Town Clerk's office. Access the State of Rhode Island's regulations and online license form.


If a person is in active military duty or has been honorably discharged they are entitled to a resident license. Residency is classified as available to an individual who has had his actual place of residence and has lived in the State of Rhode Island for a continuous period of not less than six months. College students who are residents of another state are ineligible for a resident license. A Rhode Island driver's license or Rhode Island identification card is required as proof of residency. If the customer is under the driving age, a parent must present his or her driver's license.

Stamps & HIP Permit

State law requires that any resident or non-resident, 15 years of age or older, fishing in a catch and release area or possessing trout from any waters within the state, must possess a trout stamp. The customer must sign the trout stamp across front of the stamp to validate it and affix it to the back of their license. Trout / Waterfowl (duck) stamps are sold separately but only to persons with a valid Rhode Island fishing / hunting license.

Residents who are 65 and older can get a free permanent license. They are exempt from purchasing trout stamps, but must purchase a waterfowl (duck) stamp for $7.50. They also need a HIP permit if hunting migratory birds.

Deer tags are not available at the Clerk's Office.

Disability License

Persons who are 100% permanently disabled can get a free license. These licenses are only sold at DEM offices. A doctor's letter stating they are 100% permanently disabled needs to be shown.